As the humanitarian relief and development arm of The United Methodist Church, the United Methodist Committee on Relief – UMCOR – assists United Methodists and churches to become involved globally in direct ministry to persons in need. UMCOR comes alongside those who suffer from natural or human-caused disasters – famine, hurricane, war, flood, fire or other events—to alleviate suffering and serve as a source of help and hope for the vulnerable. UMCOR provides relief, response and long-term recovery grants when events overwhelm a community’s ability to recover on their own. UMCOR also provides technical support and training for partners to address emerging and ongoing issues related to disaster relief, recovery, and long-term health and development.
How we work
Originally founded in 1940 in response to displaced and vulnerable populations in the wake of World War II, The United Methodist Committee on Relief (UMCOR) is a ministry of The United Methodist Church through the General Board of Global Ministries. Our goal is to assist the most vulnerable people affected by crisis or chronic need without regard to their race, religion, gender, or sexual orientation. We believe all people have God-given worth and dignity.
Support our work
- Pray: Our work is undergirded by the power of prayer – both in the hours after a disaster strikes and through recovery.
- Make supply kits: Assemble relief supply kits to help keep UMCOR’s Relief Supplies Network ready to deliver goods in the hands of survivors (U.S. only)
- Volunteer: U.S. volunteer efforts are arranged through annual conferences; reach out to your conference disaster relief coordinator to learn more.
- Give: To provide support where it is most needed, give to Advance #999895. To specifically support UMCOR’s international disaster response efforts, you can give to Advance 982450. To specifically support UMCOR’s U.S. disaster response efforts, you can give to Advance 901670.
To give by phone, call 1-888-252-6174 (credit card gifts accepted). To give by mail, make your check payable to Advance GCFA, write the name of the missionary or project and the Advance number on the memo line of the check and send it to:
P.O. Box 9068
New York, NY 10087-9068
For questions about giving, please email email@example.com.
News and Stories
- World AIDS Day: Equalizing access to HIV resourcesTogether, Global Ministries’ Global Health program and UMC health boards support about 75,000 pregnant women, new mothers and children in Africa with HIV and AIDS resources, drastically reducing mother to baby HIV transmission.
- Board of directors approve strategic plan to guide Global Ministries through 2024Read the full strategic plan.
- Report of the general secretary to the board of directorsGod’s sure mission in uncertain times.