Promoting access, inclusion and full participation of people with disabilities within the church.
The Disability Ministries Committee (DMC) of The United Methodist Church is a ministry partner with the General Commission on Religion and Race. Our mission is to lead the denomination in creating a culture where people with disabilities are fully included in all aspects of worship, leadership, ministry and mission through advocacy, education and empowerment.
The DMC will continue our work to:
· Provide grants to help UMC churches, agencies and affiliated organizations remove architectural and attitudinal barriers to full participation by people with disabilities
· Develop relevant resources and training to equip churches and other entities for ministry with people with disabilities and their families
· Provide a website, newsletter and social media engagement
· Advocate for and with persons with disabilities
· Hold the UMC accountable for living into the mandates found in our Book of Discipline and Book of Resolutions
United Methodist congregations and entities will be equipped to be barrier-free places that offer welcome and true belonging for those of us with disabilities. People with disabilities will take their rightful place in leadership, mission and ministry, recognized as a valued part of the rich tapestry of creation, equally loved and valued by God.